We know that when students think about their subject work outside the classroom their understanding and confidence increases. Homework and independent learning supports our students so that they are successful in the summer exams. Parents can support their child by understanding these expectations and asking them about the work they do.
Homework takes the following forms at Ashington High School:
- Formal homework. Larger pieces of work which are formally set and handed in. There is a notification on Frog so that students and parents have a clear record (though the work may well be on paper). This follows, as a minimum, the Independent Study Schedule below; students should expect two or three of these per week, though teachers are likely to set more, and each should take 1-2 hours.
- Pre- and Post-learning. This is the work around lessons to consolidate learning and get a head start for the next lesson. These are not normally set on Frog. Examples might be: finish off work, check understanding from a lesson particularly if you didn’t understand, research the next topic, talk to parents about… etc.
- Independent Learning. Students will be familiar with Subject Websites on Frog and other resources for each subject; there are fantastic links to useful websites as well as games, podcasts and videos to help them understand and revise. They will receive regular feedback from the exams and tests which should mean that they know what they need to focus on and where to find the information.
How much homework?
- The table below shows an average expected quantity of independent work over a week, including the weekend. This will vary slightly and we know that quality is more important that time. As students move through the school, we expect them to become more self-directed in their learning.
||Homework on Frog (hours)
||Pre/post-learning, independent study, intervention (hours)
- Post-16 students have study periods throughout the school week and access to facilities within school. We also expect them to be independent, organised and self-motivated to complete all their work to the best of their ability – whatever it takes beyond the school day.
Independent study schedule – 2014-15
Year 11 assembly – Independent Learning – Jan 15